Twelve workers were recently scalded while working on the heating system at the University of Utah. KSL reported that a “valve that had been closed for 15 months opened, activating a pipeline that was supposed to be inactive.” Although the valve was only open for five to seven minutes more than 10,000 gallons of water, with a temperature of about 380 degrees, gushed through the pipes to where the men were working in a vault. When the water reached the air in the vault it vaporized turning to scalding steam injuring the workers.
As of November 2, 2010, of the twelve workers injured, five remain in the University of Utah Burn Trauma Unit. One is in critical condition, two in serious condition, and two in good condition.
This appears to be an incident that resulted in burn injuries that was caused by the negligence of others. Either the computer program that turned the valves off and on was faulty or someone never made sure the proper valves were closed. Even if workers compensation is looking after most of the bills in this case the negligence needs to be investigated.
There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.
Leave a Comment